Monday, September 13, 2010

Dr. Dunston's lecture (Lauren Bolden)

This week Dr. Dunston talked about the human genome. I found her lecture very interesting in that I learned things that I did not know before. She explained how less than 1% of our DNA is geared towards our physical traits. With all the focus we put on appearance you would think it would be a lot more than that. She went on to say that only another 2% goes to making our physical bodies. That means that almost all of our DNA is about controlling what we see. This surprised me because I always assumed that most of our DNA determined what we look like.


Dr. Dunston also talked about how history and location contributes to who you are. I believe this is true because it has been proven that your surroundings affect who you are. Another thing she discussed is how wisdom is the ability to solve problems. This really made me think about the idea of wisdom. I thought of my grandparents and older people who surround me and discovered that it really is their ability to deal with life’s endless problems that makes them so wise. After years of being put in tough situations and figuring out how to make it through them, they have a new level of knowledge that comes only from experience.

From this lecture I have been inspired to work through all of life’s trials so that I too may become wise. I also want to challenge myself to discover who I am, and focus not so much on physical appearance but to go much deeper and develop myself as a person.

Lauren Bolden

No comments:

Post a Comment